Improve your conversation skills in English. On this page, we will look at some of the important language and phrases you can use to further improve your conversation skills. We will look at how to ask if the listener understands, how to interrupt and how to continue a conversation. Why not create a free membership account so you can keep track of your progress if you haven’t done so already!
Let’s start by looking at the language used for checking understanding.
Asking people if they understand:
- Do you understand me?
- Is that clear?
- Am I being clear?
- With me so far?
- Do you follow me?
- Are you with me?
- Do you know what I mean?
Checking you have understood or saying you don’t understand:
- Sorry, I’m not sure I understand.
- What do you mean by…?
- I don;t quite see what you’re getting at.
- Sorry, I’m not sure I follow you. Do you mean…?
- Excuse me, but I’m not sure I get you point.
- Apologies, but I didn’t quite follow your point.
- I’m sorry, did you say …?
- Is this what you are saying? . . .
- Could you clarify that…?
- I was wondering if you could put that in a different way.
- I’m not sure I understand. Are you saying that . . . ?
- Do you mean . . . ?
- Sorry, could you be more explicit?
We hope this lesson will help you improve your conversation skills in English!