Better sentences for talking about past events and telling stories. Part of improving your English is the ability to talk about past experiences and story telling. So what’s special about past experiences and story telling? How is it different to the normal past tense?
Here are some of the points that are used when talking about past experiences and storytelling.
Often describes feelings and emotions
- Basic past: It was very different. It was similar to what existed 500 years ago.
- Storytelling / past experiences: It seemed so different. I felt like I had travelled back in time half a millennium.
Uses exaggerated or expressive words
- Basic past: There was a lot of Renaissance art.
- Storytelling / past experiences: There was an overwhelming range of Renaissance art.
Uses idiomatic phrases
- Basic past: Very close, nearby
- Storytelling / past experiences: never more than a stone’s throw from somewhere
Uses narrative style adjectives
- Basic past: The large gardens were impressive.
- Storytelling / past experiences: The delightful gardens were beautiful.
Often uses more than one adjective
- Basic past: I went to a little cafe
- Storytelling / past experiences: I went to a quiet little cafe
Now test your skills with this test!