Exercise / Test Summary
0 of 8 questions completed
You have already completed the exercise / test before. Hence you can not start it again.
You must sign in or sign up to start the exercise / test.
You must first complete the following:
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
Arghhh! What happened ?
It looks like none of your answers were correct! You should replay the lesson before you continue.
Oh no! You can do better than that !
Review the lesson and then try taking this test again.
Not bad .
Perhaps you should look at the lesson again before you continue?
A good effort , but not great.
You should spend some time looking at the questions you answered incorrectly.
A very good effort !
Now you should review your answers to see which were correct and which were incorrect!
Well done! You got 100%!
That’s an excellent result !
Understanding reference words in a longer text: read the text below and decide what the underlined reference words refer to.
Student life is becoming increasingly difficult. Not only are students expected to perform and compete within the class, but also to devote time and energy to extra-curricular activities as well as struggle with an increasing load of homework. The push to get into the top universities has caused many overachieving students to take on heavier workloads and more challenging classes.
(1) This push, however, doesn’t end once students reach university. In fact, when (2) they reach the top places they have worked so hard to get into, many students are forced to work even harder than they did in high school. Once in the top universities, the pressure is on to secure a place at the top of the class with the very best results. But (3) it doesn’t end (4) there. Once students have graduated, they find that they must continue to overextend themselves in order to secure the top jobs in their particular field. Such is the emphasis on academic success.
There are many who claim that (5) this entire system is wrong because it puts too much emphasis on measuring achievement and not enough on true learning. This in turn has inevitable effects on the students themselves. In such a high-pressure learning environment, (6) those that find the pressure overwhelming have nowhere to turn. In an academic world measured only by academic success, many students begin to feel a low sense of worth, yet they fear to turn to anyone for help as this would be perceived as a signal of failure, an inability to cope with that which other students appear to have no problem. (7) This can be particularly hard for foreign students as they find themselves isolated without familiar cultural or family ties in their new environment and thus they concentrate solely on their work.
Perhaps the main thing to remember is that although (8) it is important to study hard, school life should also be fun.
1. This push refers to……CorrectIncorrect
2. They refers to….CorrectIncorrect
3. It refers to….CorrectIncorrect
4. There refers to….CorrectIncorrect
5. This refers to……CorrectIncorrect
6. Those refers to…..CorrectIncorrect
7. This refers to….CorrectIncorrect
8. It refers to….CorrectIncorrect