In the listening test, some answers may be in number form. Often, the instructions will indicate whether a number is required if it states NO MORE THAN (ONE/TWO/THREE) WORDS AND/OR A NUMBER. When transferring your answer, make sure you write it correctly as often an easy point is lost for making a simple mistake.
- One thousand = 1000
- Half a million = 500 000
- One million = 1 000 000
- One billion = 1 000 000 000*
- One trillion = 1 000 000 000 000*
*British English and American used to have different numbers for billion and trillion. However, they have been standardised since 1975. Thanks go to Asha for this update!
Practice by converting the words below into numbers (NOTE: these are slightly harder than anything you will need to do for the IELTS test).
Example: Four thousand six hundred and eighty two = 4682
- Twelve thousand six hundred and eighteenShow answer12618
- Seventeen thousand and twoShow answer17002
- Seventy four thousand two hundred and seventy twoShow answer74272
- Eight million four hundred thousandShow answer8400000
- One million, four hundred and twenty-two thousand six hundred and nineteenShow answer1422619
- Eight hundred and eighteen million six hundred and fourteen thousandShow answer818614000