This page is about PTE Part 3 (Listening), which focuses on your listening skills. However, it is very important in the PTE test to remember that you will actually need to use a range of skills in each section – in this case, you will need to use more skills than just listening.
Take a break! As this is the third part of the test, you are allowed to request a 10 minute break before you begin this section if you feel you need it. We recommend that you do use this time to take a break – you will need to be FULLY focused on the audio for this final section of the test, so use the break to refresh yourself as much as possible – wash your face with cold water, grab a coffee – anything you can do to give you the best level of attention for this final section!
This section of the PTE test takes between 45 and 57 minutes and contains 8 different types of question.
A combination of any of the following different question types might appear in this section of the test:
- Summarize Spoken Text
- Multiple Choice, Multiple Answer
- Fill in the Blanks
- Highlight Correct Summary
- Multiple Choice, Single Answer
- Select Missing Word
- Highlight Incorrect Words
- Write From Dictation
The listening part of the PTE test consists of questions that are based on audio or video clips. Here are some important notes about the audio you will see and hear:
- the audio and video will begin to play automatically, so be prepared!
- you will hear each audio or video clip only once so listen carefully.
- you will be given headphones (make sure to report ANY problems with the headphones immediately!).
- you are able to adjust the volume on the headphones.
- you are allowed to take notes.