What you have to do for this question type:
For PTE Part 2 Item type 1- Fill in the blanks, you will need to read a text that appears on screen. The text will have several missing words, and you need to drag the words from the box to fill the gaps.
Task length and timing:
The text will be up to 300 words long. You need to select the most appropriate words from some choices in a drop-down list to complete the text. You will have either 5 or 6 of these texts in your test.
Beside each gap, there is a button with the drop-down list. You need to left-click on this button to reveal the drop-down list of options for that gap. You then select the option you think best fills the gap. If you want to change your answer, you need to left-click on a different option.
The scoring for this question type:
This question type affects the scoring of reading and writing. If all blanks are filled correctly, you receive the maximum score points for this question type. You are given 1 point for each correct answer and 0 points for each incorrect answer.
- You should first use your skimming skills to give you a general understanding the meaning of the whole text.
- Skim the text to find key ideas and words which point to the main topic the text is talking about.
- When you click on the drop down arrows, you may find word options that are also related to the main topic.
- The words in the drop-down menus may look quite similar but will have different meanings and usage.
- Read the words in the text directly before and after the blank to help you identify the correct answer.
- You will then need to check grammar and overall meaning to see whether the answer you have chosen fits the blank.