Task: Several text boxes appear on screen in a random order. Put the text boxes in the correct order.
Skills assessed: Reading
Prompt length: Text up to 150 words
For this item type, you need to restore the original order of the text by selecting text boxes and dragging them across the screen.
Read the text boxes in order to understand the main idea of each one. You can do this by noting the key words.
Next, use the key words to form an overall idea of what the original text is about. This will help you find the logical order for the ideas in the text boxes:
Every well-written paragraph has a topic sentence. It is usually a clear statement about the topic, and all the other sentences are related in some way to this sentence.
The topic sentence can stand alone; it does not begin with a linker or a pronoun that refers back to something or someone (e.g., ‘he’ or ‘this’), nor does it does refer back to information or actions previously mentioned through the use of things like passive verb tenses (‘No link was found’):
Exercise / Test Summary
0 of 1 questions completed
You have already completed the exercise / test before. Hence you can not start it again.
Exercise / Test is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the exercise / test.
You must first complete the following:
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
The text boxes in the left panel have been placed in a random order. Restore the original order by dragging the text boxes from the left panel to the right panel.
- Situated on the Thu Bon riverbanks, the historic city of Hoi An is 30 kilometres south of Da Nang, a major industrial port.
- The city’s name translates as ‘peaceful meeting place’. Recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site in 1999, it is an outstandingly well-kept example of a traditional trading port in South-East Asia.
- Such recognition is deserved, with a combination of Vietnamese, Chinese and Japanese architecture, Hoi An is the only such location in Vietnam to have survived intact. Today, it is home to 120,000 inhabitants though this population size swells dramatically due to tourism.
- A walk through this remarkable city is an unimaginable delight for visitors, and the lanterns and lights in the evening along the riverfront are breath-taking.
- Particularly sensational is a visit on a full moon when electricity is cut in the town and said lanterns can be seen in their full glory.