The following vocabulary is useful for talking about people in the medical field.
The people involved
- Medical practitioner – this is a formal term for a doctor or surgeon.
- Surgeon – a medical specialist who can perform surgery (cut open part of the body)
- specialist – someone who has a deep understanding of a specific area of something (e.g. a cancer specialist).
- Patient – the person who is unwell and needs medical attention
- Emergency services – this can refer to the fire department, the police or ambulance staff.