The following vocabulary is useful for understanding and discussing the legal process.
- To arrest someone – to take someone into custody
- A trial – when the evidence against the accused person is considered by a judge and jury
- Verdict – the decision as to whether the defendant is innocent or guilty
- Appeal – when the final decision made by the judge is challenged
- Confession – when the accused person admits they are guilty
- Testimony – a written or spoken statement
- Immunity – when a criminal is not prosecuted for their crime(s) in exchange for their testimony about another criminal