This vocabulary page is a little different to the normal pages as it focuses on collocations – that is, the words that are put together (in this case the grammar and the activity).
For example, easy marks are commonly lost in the speaking test for simple errors like ‘I like to go to shopping’ or ‘I enjoy playing yoga’.
Look at the lists below of a few common leisure activities and then complete the exercises.
|Verb + gerund|
Verb + noun
|go to the cinema|
go bungy jumping
play computer games
play table tennis
|surf the internet|
|go for a walk|
Choose the correct verb to complete the sentence.
1. I have been to Queenstown many times but I have neverbunjy jumping.
2. Almost everybodythe internet in their free time.
3. Bill needed some fresh air so hefor a walk.
4. My grandmother oftensome knitting in her free time.
5. Let’s rent a DVD tonight I’m tired oftelevision.
6. Jenny has beenyoga for 2 years now, she is very fit.
7. John was in the middle ofhis juggling act when he fell over.
8. We haven’tthe gardening for a month, it’s very overgrown.
9. It’s a beautiful day today, let’skayaking.
10. Kevincomputer games all day long at the weekend.