Free IELTS Academic Reading test 2 Section 3
This free IELTS reading test (Academic Module) has the same question types, content style, length and difficulty as a standard IELTS test. To get started simply scroll down to read the texts and answer the questions.
Looking for more reading practice tests? Our online course has over 15 complete practice tests as well as end of lesson tests and reading texts used in the lessons.
When you have finished the test,make a note of the number of correct answers check your score with our band score converter.
Questions 23 – 40
Questions 23 – 29
Do the following statements agree with the opinion of the writer? Write
YES if the statement agrees with the writer
NO if the statement does not agree with the writer
NOT GIVEN if there is no information about this in the passage.
- People from all around the world are united by the way they think about culture. Show answer No
- Our ‘values’ are the most important aspect of ideology. Show answer Not Given
- Secularism is the most widely accepted system of beliefs, values and ideals. Show answer Not Given
- Shamans act as intermediaries between spirits and the living. Show answer Yes
- Agricultural societies benefited from religion. Show answer Not Given
- In Aztec civilisation, fighters, craftspeople and traders demanded blood sacrifices from the rich. Show answer No (it was the wealthy and privileged that called for sacrifice, not the fighters, craftspeople and traders).
- In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, European people began turning towards science. Show answer Yes
Questions 30 – 34
Complete the summary of the reading text using words from the box.
There are two main (30) systems which can contribute to our ideology – animism and secularism. The (31) can be said to dominate older civilisations and tribal societies, whereas larger, more contemporary societies have gone in a more (32) and scientific direction. One reason that explains the (33) of more secular beliefs is the importance given to other factors, such as free will and capitalism. Nonetheless, (34) remains at least to some degree even in the most secular of societies.
30. Show answer Belief
31. Show answer Former
32. Show answer Rational
33. Show answer Ascendancy
34. Show answer Religion
Questions 35 – 40
Answer the questions below using NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS.
- What are beliefs, values and ideals specific categories of? Show answer Ideology
- What was said to be necessary for the continuation of sunrise and sunset in ancient Mexico? Show answer Human sacrifice OR human blood
- In Europe, what title was given to the advance of science and logic? Show answer Age of Enlightenment
- What two things influenced the development of capitalism? Show answer Religion and science
- Before modern advances in technology, what did anthropologists consider societies to be? Show answer Fully independent systems
- What theory is symbolic of the tensions between religion and science? Show answer Natural evolution