What is the examiner looking for in your speaking test? The examiner is looking for you to demonstrate ability in four areas in your speaking test.
First, Fluency and Coherence
- Can you keep speaking at normal speed, without noticeable pauses?
- Are your ideas relevant and connected?
- Can you use a range of vocabulary?
- Are you able to express yourself even if you do not have all the vocabulary you need?
Grammatical Range and Accuracy
- Can you use a variety of grammar structures?
- Can you use more complex grammar?
- Is your speech clear and easy to understand?
- Does your native language interfere with your meaning?
Note that this last point does not mean that you are required to have no accent. It simply means that your native accent should not make it overly difficult for other people to understand.